A Little About Me

Hi my name is Matt Lloyd, I'm 22 and have recently moved to Dalston, Greater London. I've been a keen writer my whole life and I wanted to share a part of what I see in the world around me. By combining my experience in the hospitality industry, skills in drawing and my more recent development as an interior architect I want to share some of the secret hideaways that London has to offer. It can be lonely in the modern world and coffee shops, bars and restaurants offer me a solace through the appreciation of great interior spaces, food and drink. So sit back, relax and let the sweet scent of experiences wash over you.

Thursday 11 June 2015

The Arcola Theatre


Sketch of box office edited in Photoshop


Website: www.arcolatheatre.com

Location: 24 Ashwin Street, London E8 3DL


Disclaimer: Most of my posts are unlikely to be this long but since this is the grand premiere and involves a play I had to dedicate some extra time.

On my first night here, I pretty much just passed out after I’d unpacked and it wasn’t until the next day that I ventured out of my cave to explore. I took a fairly leisurely walk round the local area before I stumbled into a fairly uninspiring arched entrance way with huge factory doors painted grey. Positioned at a jaunty angle outside was an A-board with the words Arcola Theatre scrawled across it in chalk and from the inside the gentle laughter of a young woman spilled out onto the street. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to pop in initially as there were groceries to be obtained.

However later that evening, I was sat in my room trawling through events when I found highly acclaimed “Crouch. Touch. Pause. Engage.” As an ex-rugby player I’d followed the story of Gareth Thomas in my teenage years so when it came to light it was showing at the Arcola that night I had to go along. There were two tickets left so I was stuck going alone to seat C28 on the end of the row stage right. After almost being late for the 7.30 showing (I had to switch the oven off with my dinner still inside) I flew up Dalston lane and made it with two minutes to spare, still with no idea what to expect inside.

The interior was an object of real intrigue, the stripped down skeletal form of the former paint factory had been maintained. A bare-bones aesthetic littered with prefabricated OSB board elements that had been positioned to crudely generate a box office, coffee shop and upstairs; a bar. Ceiling elements were visible, lighting was industrial and task driven, the box office even had the foam insulation exposed, there was a fantastic parallel with the studio built sets of old television shows, and I began to see that in its honesty the Arcola holds its majesty.

The Arcola has two performance areas called “studios” (which in my opinion presents a beautiful acknowledgement to the level of work that goes on behind the scenes in theatre i.e. when we see a play it is not merely a piece on a stage to be admired but an extensive network of people that have been slaving away for months.) The performance I had gone to see was in Studio 2. The makeshift seating reminded me of a sporting grandstand, exposed structural elements was again a theme, but what really struck me was the intimacy, the actors were on the same level as the audience no more than one foot away thereby destroying the traditional elevated stage or any notion of a hierarchal relationship within the theatre.

I’d sat myself next to someone else who appeared to be on their own, very individual in his appearance and spoke in a manner that made me re asses my dull Birmingham drone. I later found out it was Lloyd Trott of the Royal Academy of Dramatic arts and author of the Actors and Performers Year Book (2015 & 2016 editions), so naturally I held my tongue when it came to the discussion of theatre. The performance itself was fantastic, spine tingling at times and at the end of a long tour expert in its delivery, afterwards Lloyd was kind enough to invite me to meet the writer Robin Soans along with some of his students. They were all lovely people, very inviting and wished me well on my ventures while in London, a few Camden Hells later I finally went home to enjoy my dinner.


VERDICT: The Arcola is a fantastic project fully deserving of all its support and credit. It breaks the archaic nature of the pompous theatre with its stripped down honest appearance and allows the whole building to become a stage in itself. The coffee was fairly average but what the Arcola lacks in luxury it makes up for in atmosphere! I’m blessed to live so close to such a brilliant venue.

Design:  6/10 

Atmosphere: 8.5/10 

Coffee: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment