A Little About Me

Hi my name is Matt Lloyd, I'm 22 and have recently moved to Dalston, Greater London. I've been a keen writer my whole life and I wanted to share a part of what I see in the world around me. By combining my experience in the hospitality industry, skills in drawing and my more recent development as an interior architect I want to share some of the secret hideaways that London has to offer. It can be lonely in the modern world and coffee shops, bars and restaurants offer me a solace through the appreciation of great interior spaces, food and drink. So sit back, relax and let the sweet scent of experiences wash over you.

Friday 12 June 2015

Cafe Route

Mixed Media Sketch


Website: www.caferoute.co.uk                              

Location: Unit A Gaumont Tower, Dalston Square


When I initially came down to view what turned out to be my flat me and my Mum popped in here for a spot of lunch in the midday sunshine. The first thing that is worth mentioning is the surrounding area, at the centre of Dalston’s newest housing development, the open space concrete square is a chilled out alternative to the sometimes gritty side of Dalston further towards Kingstanding. The food and service were great; a fantastic display of much of the food on offer stretches the full length of the café in a kind of market stall format. The waitress that served us had perfect command over the tables and no one appeared to be left waiting, the lovely atmosphere (if helped a little by the weather) was perfectly balanced in the over spilling nature of the seating. Four rows of benches protrude out of the Café into the square making it a very inviting spot to sit and enjoy a coffee or lunch in the afternoon.

I returned again for a visit because I was interested to see what it would be like later in the evening and I was not disappointed; the beautiful rustic organic looking pendant lights illuminate the surf shack style façade inside the building creating a gentle glow that can be seen from across the square. The vaulted ceiling becomes an acoustic honey pot of gentle conversation; creating enough buzz to present a thriving popular café environment without invading the privacy of the individual.

If you choose to sit yourself outside you can pick up the yelps and chuckles of passers-by and gather up the eaves of conversations drifting into the square, all gently serenaded with the percussion of the fountain just yards away. The way this café is able to seamlessly be both café and restaurant is something to be marveled at, it appears to slide into which ever atmosphere is required.

VERDICT: whether you want to watch the world go by, eat some great food, pick up a quick bite or meet for a drink near the station, Café Route will serve your needs. The carefully executed design combines the Italian plaza with the Turkish market all the while whispering the homely goodness of an aunt’s pantry. Perhaps it doesn’t break boundaries or offer something for trendy shoreditchers to whistle about but as a package, everything it does it does well.

Design: 8/10

Atmosphere: 9/10

Coffee: 7/10



   

No comments:

Post a Comment