A Little About Me

Hi my name is Matt Lloyd, I'm 22 and have recently moved to Dalston, Greater London. I've been a keen writer my whole life and I wanted to share a part of what I see in the world around me. By combining my experience in the hospitality industry, skills in drawing and my more recent development as an interior architect I want to share some of the secret hideaways that London has to offer. It can be lonely in the modern world and coffee shops, bars and restaurants offer me a solace through the appreciation of great interior spaces, food and drink. So sit back, relax and let the sweet scent of experiences wash over you.

Sunday 5 July 2015

????

Sketch W/Photoshop



It was a beautiful day in East London last weekend so I decided to take a walk down to Shoreditch and sniff out some caffeine based delights. I was meeting a friend who was travelling into London by train so I snapped up the opportunity to really take my time.

When we’d eventually met up we slid into the Batman Cape and Cowl Exhibition on Old Street and had a little potter round before finding an absolutely delightful little coffee house. As we stepped through the outer grey façade we were met by a barrage of colour, a rainbow graphic wrapped its way round the room. Along the left hand side the wall had been covered with the loyalty cards of regular customers, a very homely touch.

I went for an iced coffee in contrast to my usual tastes and was not disappointed, who’d have thought that an iced Americano could give a man so much joy?! We sat down on the recycled school furniture facing out of the coffee shop, it was a real people watcher’s outpost as you are slightly raised from the street due to the step up, you can gaze lazily out at the world, it would be a fantastic place to do work (if out of office working was a luxury I possessed).

The tables were reclaimed too with a dropped ceiling of services overhead, the cabling of the filament pendant bulbs was arranged nicely to form a kind of urban chandelier. We must have sat there for a couple of hours, both drawing neither of us talking, but it didn’t require it. A group of Greek students were the only other customers who sat themselves by the door, jabbering to each other; combined with the uncharacteristic weather the impression generated was of a lazy afternoon in a continental city.

The chill wave vibes of the music played and the relaxed attitude of the staff made the whole experience that extra bit more special.

 THE VERDICT: I enjoyed this place so much that unfortunately I’m unwilling to share its location, since I will be going back there a lot; I don’t want my haven ruined by the hordes of fans flocking in pilgrimage. Sorry I’m not sorry.


Design: 8/10
Atmosphere: 8.5/10
Coffee: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment