A Little About Me

Hi my name is Matt Lloyd, I'm 22 and have recently moved to Dalston, Greater London. I've been a keen writer my whole life and I wanted to share a part of what I see in the world around me. By combining my experience in the hospitality industry, skills in drawing and my more recent development as an interior architect I want to share some of the secret hideaways that London has to offer. It can be lonely in the modern world and coffee shops, bars and restaurants offer me a solace through the appreciation of great interior spaces, food and drink. So sit back, relax and let the sweet scent of experiences wash over you.

Saturday 27 June 2015

Turntables

Sketch and Photoshop



Website: http://www.turntablesldn.co.uk/      
Location: 117 WALLIS RD, E9 5LN


Archaic trembling voices of old would tell you Sunday is the day of rest yet the hustle and bustle of modern life simply does not allow it, from Westminster to Watford the weekday grinders fill up their weekends with just as much, if not more chaos than in the working week. A few hundred yards from my bedroom I could hear the click-clack of heels and rumblings of inebriated conversation already and it was barely 1 O’clock.  I decided to do what any sensible person would and seek out my own private haven where I could enjoy the so-called “day of rest”.

After enjoying Street Feast the previous weekend I wanted to pursue the kind of open air festival vibe that east London seems to thrive upon and low an behold; a stone throw from Hackney Wick station I found Turntables. It has the usual festival tent décor with a nice edge added by its reclaimed timber shacks and washing line style bunting; imagine an old fashioned jubilee party thrown by a bunch of students that live on a barge and you wouldn’t be far off.

Quite perfectly, the location sits right on the canal and there begins its tranquillity. mankind has always enjoyed the company of gently flowing water so it really is a fantastic spot. All of the above had sold the event to me entirely so after telling my housemate all about it she decided we should go along. Finding it was pretty smooth, Sunday is reggae day so the sound of steel drums over a fairly impressive soundsystem paired with the smoke of the barbeque run by the infamous “white men can’t jerk” rather pulled us in. We naturally ate and with only a £10 budget one drink and food is all I could afford but as a free event I didn’t mind all that much.

We sat up in the hut on red bean bags where we had a nice view across the party, there was something beautiful about it. The design was shoddy but had a handmade quality to it that helped its cause; it was a party for the people by the people. We sat for hours listening to the music and being at peace.

It’s not all laid back and relaxed though, the club shapes is right next door and on a Saturday night I’m told the area is alive with music and chaos. Not my cup of coffee but it is definitely worth checking out if you like your warehouse raves.


VERDICT: If you’ve forgotten what a day of rest feels like and don’t mind some sweet rhythms; a little barbecue smoke and pissing in an outhouse - Turntables is for you. Great food, beautiful atmosphere, be prepared to lose a day!  


Design: 3/10


Atmosphere: 10/10


Coffee: N/A 

No comments:

Post a Comment